Portage Service - Sefton Council
Portage is a service for young children with SEN or disabilities aged 0-3 years. Portage Advisors model effective interventions to those who know the child best, working directly with young children usually in the child’s home and, where appropriate, their early years setting.
- An initial developmental assessment to decide whether Portage is the most appropriate service for a child.
- Ongoing assessment and regular reviews of a child’s progress.
- Structured play activities with a chart for families to record their child’s achievements.
- Advice on further play activities for families to try at home.
- Signposting and information about other services that may be able to offer help or advice to a family.
- Liaison with other professionals in order to ensure a joined up approach to meeting a child’s needs.
- Support in looking at nursery settings and the ‘next steps’ after Portage.
If there are concerns about a child’s development, a request for Portage involvement can be made by either the child’s family or by a professional involved with the child’s family.
For more information you can contact Sefton SEN and Inclusion Service on 0151 934 2347 or by emailing SEN & Inclusion Service: SENIS@sefton.gov.uk
Where to go
- Age Ranges
- From 0 years to 3 years
Last updated: 30/06/2020