If you require transport for a child with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or have a query about transport for a child who attends a Special School or a Resourced Unit within a mainstream school, please contact the Special Educational Needs team on 0151 934 2347.
Parents and carers are responsible for ensuring that their children attend school regularly and on time. Most pupils in Sefton:
- walk to school, accompanied if necessary, by a parent/carer
- travel to school on public transport
- are driven to school by parents.
Wherever possible the Local Authority (LA) expects parents to make similar arrangements for children attending mainstream schools. The LA has a statutory duty, and in appropriate circumstances discretionary powers to provide assistance with home to school travel, based on a pupil’s individual needs and circumstances.
School aged children (pupils up to age 16) are eligible for free home to school travel support if they:
- Are attending their nearest qualifying school and meet the eligible distance criteria relevant to their age group
- Are from a low income family and are attending a qualifying school and meet the eligible distance criteria
Full details including what is a qualifying school can be found in the Sefton home to School transport policy 2017-18.
You can apply by completing the 2016-17 travel pass or transport application form that's appropriate to you or your child.
Please note that Sefton Council does not provide financial support for post-16 student travel.
If you are refused transport under the current policy you will be offered the right of appeal against this decision. This will be included with any refusal letter you receive.